Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas Day 2008


















































































































































































After hearing what time some of our friends had to get up with their kids, I feel fortunate that ours slept until 7:20 Christmas Morning. As told, they came straight down to our room without going into the family room. We sent them back upstairs while Daddy and I made sure everything was in order and got the camera ready. When they came down there were lots of squeals of delight, and it got noisy very quickly. All three were very happy with Santa. Mom even got some running socks and those sour mints that she always steals from Dad's car. We took a break for breakfast, which I have to admit wasn't anything special this year, and then we opened our tree gifts to each other. I like to go one at a time and really draw out the process, but I had to give up after awhile. The kids were just too excited about their gifts, and I lost control. It was a fun chaos, though! Then we all got dressed and ready for the day and tried to clean up a little bit around the house. Gram and Grandpa came over with Uncle Newman, Aunt Diane, and Gobby. We had a delicious Christmas dinner that Gram cooked, and then we opened more presents. It was a nice day outside, and we really had fun getting outside and playing with our toys. Gram and Grandpa gave Caroline and Will a new bike, and Santa brought a new Razor Scooter. Other favorites were some new American Girl doll accessories, Spike the Dinosaur, a small flat drum set, a Hannah Montana Guitar, sleeping bags, a camera, and a race track. They have performed many shows for us this week. Dad's favorite was Guitar Hero for the Wii and a tabletop pinball machine for Will. We finished the day with a round of turkey sandwiches and delicious pecan pie. Everyone had a fun time and really enjoyed the day. I mentioned that Will is really into the whole thing this year, and my absolute favorite moment of the day was when I was standing in the kitchen and heard yelling through the open door to the garage. Will was standing in the driveway by himself with his hand cupped around his face, yelling up to the sky at the top of his lungs, "Thank you Santa Claus for a great Christmas!." I may forget many details of this day, but I think that memory is etched into my mind forever. Although the kids are still very focused in their presents and the gift giving part of Christmas, I was so happy that they seem to really grasp the fact that we are celebrating Jesus' birth. I hope that awareness and focus continues to grow in the coming years and that they will grow up truly understanding the reason for the season. Stay tuned for 2 more special birthday posts from the month of December until I fully move onto 2009.

0 comments: