Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Baby Jesus Gifts


One of my favorite traditions at Chapel Hill Children's School is that every Christmas they have each of the children present gifts to Baby Jesus. They work very hard to make this a meaningful experience for the children, and I am sad our time is close to coming to an end with this. They dress the children up in robes and have them hold the Baby Jesus in their arms after they give them their gifts. It is explained to them that Jesus is not really getting the gifts, but that some little boys and girls that really have some needs for these things would be receiving their gifts. In this way, they are helping Jesus by helping other little children. I made a big deal out of taking Will to the store to purchase his gifts for Baby Jesus. He asked a few times on the way there if maybe we couldn't get just one little thing for him, too. I explained that no, this trip was not for him, but for others. He wasn't so sure, but once we got in the store, he got really into it, and kept going from item to item saying (loudly), "I think Jesus would really like this!". In fact, I had to cut him off, and tell him that I thought we had enough gifts this year for Baby Jesus.

0 comments: