Wednesday, March 11, 2009

John Sammons

Last Friday I had the honor of attending a funeral in Temple, TX, for a very special man - John Sammons. I have known Mr. Sammons for a very long time, and he was such a wonderful person. He would have been important to me just for the fact that he was the father of one of my dearest friends, but there was something about him and Mrs. Sammons that made you feel wonderful every time you were around them. It's funny sometimes how much you can learn about a person by attending their funeral, but there were many things said at this funeral that I already knew. I already knew that he had a wonderful marriage - one that was admired and one that I could only strive to emulate. There was true devotion there, and it was a gift for the entire family and all of their friends. I already knew that he was a terrific father and would do anything for his children. He made it clear that he wanted nothing but their happiness and showed that throughout their lives. I already knew that he was a humble man and made others feel more important than himself. I already knew that he was a man of true faith. His commitment to God was complete and he never wavered in who he was in Christ. It made me really stop and think about how I live my life and the people that I impact on a day to day basis. I hope that I will show some of these qualities and that I will purposefully choose to live a life that puts others above myself. I wish Mr. Sammons were in this picture, but the above shows Mrs. Sammons, my friend Lynn, and my mother at my wedding on June 20, 1998. He will definitely be missed.

0 comments: