Sunday, January 4, 2009

Welcome 2009









































I have always loved the week after Christmas. In fact, it might be my favorite week of the year. Ray takes it off from work, and it is such a great time to catch up on sleep, fun, and household projects. I am usually ready to get back into our routine by the time it is over, but this year is different. It has been so nice to not have to be on a schedule with places to be all the time, and I could definitely keep doing this for awhile longer. I think the kids really enjoyed the break, too, but they are very excited about school tomorrow. I crossed the first hurdle and got lunches made and backpacks packed. The next hurdle will be setting the alarm and actually getting everyone up and out the door on time!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a lot of fun as a family over the holidays. One of the highlights was taking the kids ice skating for the first time. We went to the Galleria in Dallas and had dinner at Mi Cocina before making our way onto the rink. I wasn't quite as good as I remembered being and this caused a slight problem because I couldn't handle any of the kids hanging on me. Ray on the other hand was a pro, and he handled taking them around the rink. Allison picked it up pretty quickly, and she and I had fun skating around slowly and independently. It was a fun family outing with lots of good memories. We also saw movies, played board games almost every evening, rode bikes, went for hikes, and played Wii Games. Ray and I were able to get out three times for date night - twice by ourselves and once with friends.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the best things about this week is reflecting on the past year and making plans for the new year. There is something exciting and uplifting about the new start and all the possibilities that a new year can bring. I have never actually written out my resolutions, and while I believe in making changes throughout the year, this has always been the time of year where I have really thought about some things in my life I would like to change. I love the quote by Charles DuBois - "The important thinking is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become." Here are my hopes for 2009.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope to make it a priority to get more sleep.
I hope to drink more water.
I hope to start playing some tennis.
I hope to have more fun with my kids and husband and to not worry so much about my to-do list.
I hope to place more focus on helping others in need and to teach my children how to make this part of their lives.
I hope to have a positive impact on the people that are in my life and leave things better than I found them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sure I will have days where I fail at these aspirations, but I am grateful that I can wake up each day and with God's grace start again. I struggle with focusing too much on my to-do list, and I've thought a lot about how life is really not about reaching the destination, but it's more about the journey. I want to savor the journey and not miss out on the details along the way - especially while my kids are young. So, as I start 2009, I pray that it will be a year happiness and health for my family.

Happy New Year!

0 comments: