Sunday, September 21, 2008

Reading Between The Wines


I belong to a Book Club that has been meeting for 10 years this month. I have been part of the group for a little over 8 years. We are called Reading Between the Wines because of our love for reading and drinking wine together. In honor of our 10 year anniversary we went on a retreat to Rough Creek Lodge this weekend. Juliet knows the owners of Rough Creek, and so we were able to stay at the Owner's Lodge for a reduced rate. It was absolutely beautiful and so peaceful out there. Twelve of us went, and we missed the few that couldn't come, especially Danielle, because starting a Book Club was originally her idea. We spent the weekend eating, talking, and relaxing. It was a wonderful getaway with a fantastic group of girls. Being in this book club has definitely been a highlight in my adult life. I love to read, and the group has inspired and allowed me to read so many different types of books. Our discussions are informative, meaningful, and relative to my life. Most of these girls are not people that I pick up the phone and call on a day to day basis. Many of them I see only once a month, but when you are with someone once a month for over eight years, you really get to know them. I really feel like discussing books and the many topics that have come out of these discussions has given me the opportunity to get to know these girls in a very meaningful way. In addition to books, we have shared the joys in our lives and even some unspeakable sorrows. So even though many of these girls are not my best friends on a daily basis, we all agree that it is a bond that no one would trade. People that know me well know where I will always be on the evening of the second Wednesday of every month!

0 comments: